Essential resources for understanding the world of special education in Howard County and beyond.
Resolving school concerns and disagreements Howard County Public School System When concerns outside special education arise, parents and guardians are encouraged to direct their concerns to the persons most closely involved. However, when an informal process fails to provide resolution, a parent may file a formal complaint
The National Center and State Collaborative (NCSC) is a project led by five centers and a consortium of states to build an alternate assessment based on alternate achievement standards for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities. This new assessment will replace Maryland’s current Alternate Maryland School Assessment (Alt-MSA) in the 2015-16 school year.
The Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) provides states with the discretion of adopting developmental delay (DD) as an additional categorical option for students. Maryland establishes the age range of three (3) through nine (9) years of age for the use of the DD option. Read more.
Formal post-secondary goals are set during the year a student reaches the age of 14. At each annual IEP meeting, the team discusses the student’s post secondary goals.
- Accommodations & Modifications(12)
- ADD / ADHD / Learning Disabilities(4)
- Autism Resources(44)
- Behavior & Discipline Issues(24)
- COVID-19 Special Ed News(39)
- HCPSS Dept. of Special Education(37)
- High Stakes Testing(13)
- IEP / IFSP / 504 Basics(49)
- Mediation & Due Process(8)
- Parent to Parent Tips(27)
- Procedural Safeguards(9)
- School 411(8)
- Special Education Services(11)
- Videos and Webinars of Support Group Meetings and Advocacy Workshops(17)