Essential resources for understanding the world of special education in Howard County and beyond.
School-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) programs exist throughout the county. What does PBIS emphasize? What outcomes are associated with implementation of a school-wide PBIS program?
Extended School Year (ESY) is the continuation of certain Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals related to critical life skills beyond the regular school year. ESY services will vary in intensity, location, inclusion of related services, and length of time, depending upon the student’s needs. Some examples of ESY services include speech therapy, occupational therapy, and…
It’s the start of a new school year. A time of expectations and anxiety for both students and parents. Parents and teachers have met about IEP goals and objectives, placement, class schedules, and the like. New supplies have been purchased and we’re ready to go! But how will we know our students are making progress…
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004) provides parents with procedural protections when a disagreement arises over the identification, evaluation, placement, or program of their child regarding special education and related services.
- Accommodations & Modifications(13)
- ADD / ADHD / Learning Disabilities(4)
- Autism Resources(44)
- Behavior & Discipline Issues(24)
- COVID-19 Special Ed News(40)
- HCPSS Dept. of Special Education(37)
- High Stakes Testing(13)
- IEP / IFSP / 504 Basics(49)
- Mediation & Due Process(8)
- Parent to Parent Tips(27)
- Procedural Safeguards(9)
- School 411(8)
- Special Education Services(12)
- Videos and Webinars of Support Group Meetings and Advocacy Workshops(19)