The branch facilitates informal dispute resolution by responding to parent inquiries, assisting parents with navigating Maryland’s early intervention and special education systems, and connecting parents with community resources and local personnel who can assist with concerns. Additionally, staff investigate and resolve formal State complaints that allege violations of state and federal IDEA requirements regarding the special education of students with disabilities and maintains data and reports on the dispute resolution processes, including complaint investigations, mediations, and due process hearings.
On this site, you will find links to:
- Listing of Free or Low Cost Assistance for Special Education Disputes
- Special Education State Complaint Resolution Procedures
- State Complaint Form
- A Parent’s Guide to Frequently Asked Questions about Special Education State Complaints
- Facilitated IEP Team Meetings
- Request for Mediation and Due Process
- A Parent’s Guide to Frequently Asked Questions about Special Education Mediation
- A Parent’s Guide to Frequently Asked Questions about Special Education Due Process Complaints
Mediation Promotes Conflict Resolution–Mediation in Special Education
What is a Due Process Hearing?
Due Process (Wrightslaw)