MSDE Technical Assistance Bulletin
Students with and without disabilities are assessed on their achievement of academic content standards; student performance informs instruction which is aligned with the core curriculum(Maryland College and Career Ready Standards, or MCCRS); instruction is differentiated based on student performance; and student assessment results indicate the extent to which schools are effectively educating students to reach the expected State standards. For students with disabilities, both general and specialized education are required.
This technical assistance bulletin highlights critical points about specially designed instruction,
including requirements for IEP teams to:
- Develop, as appropriate, IEP goals that are:
• Aligned to academic content standards of grade level enrollment, and
• Aligned to academic content standard from earlier in the learning progressions, or
• Aligned to age/grade appropriate functional skills impacted by the disability and interfere with, prevent, or affect communication and interpersonal interactions, participation in school and learning activities, and independence in school and potential post-school settings.
- Implement evidence-based instructional practices and strategies or approaches that
have proven to be effective in leading to desired outcomes;
- Analyze trend data in order to reasonably calculate student progress toward grade level
standards and set ambitious IEP goals;
- Regularly review student data to monitor student progress and make data informed
decisions about adjustments to instruction and interventions; and
- Consider the information and training needs of parents and school personnel.
Read more. Maryland State Department of Education.