The Howard County Autism Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and is an affiliate of the Autism Society of America
The Autism Society’s mission is to create connections, empowering everyone in the Autism community with the resources needed to live fully. Its vision is to create a world where everyone in the Autism community is connected to the support they need, when they need it.
The mission of the Howard County Autism Society is to serve individuals on the autism spectrum, their families, and their communities by providing information, support, and advocacy; by promoting awareness of autism that values the dignity and uniqueness of each individual; and by working to improve the quality of and access to services and to educational opportunities.
The Howard County Autism Society fulfills its mission by following these guiding principles.
- Notes that when provided the opportunity, all individuals on the autism spectrum have a contribution to make to their family, to their community, and to society at large. Therefore, the Society supports meaningful participation and self-determination in all aspects of life for individuals on the autism spectrum and their families.
- Supports individuals on the autism spectrum of all ages and throughout the lifespan to find their own voice through self-advocacy.
- Informs individuals and families directly affected by Autism Spectrum Disorders and local service providers by seeking out opportunities to educate all in best practices in support and treatment.
- Promotes better awareness and understanding of the autism spectrum. It provides information and resources to the autism community and to the public at large in a manner that is most effective with each target audience.
- Advocates for public policy and funding that expands educational, vocational, therapeutic, recreational, social, and residential options as well as research opportunities and medical knowledge.
- Promotes collaborative relationships between individuals on the autism spectrum and their families, and their service providers.
- Encourages cooperation between schools, agencies, organizations, and other professionals involved in the lives of people within the autism spectrum.
CLICK HERE to read about our Top 25 Achievements !