Essential resources for understanding the world of special education in Howard County and beyond.
The National Center and State Collaborative (NCSC) is a project led by five centers and a consortium of states to build an alternate assessment based on alternate achievement standards for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities. This new assessment will replace Maryland’s current Alternate Maryland School Assessment (Alt-MSA) in the 2015-16 school year.
The Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) provides states with the discretion of adopting developmental delay (DD) as an additional categorical option for students. Maryland establishes the age range of three (3) through nine (9) years of age for the use of the DD option. Read more.
Formal post-secondary goals are set during the year a student reaches the age of 14. At each annual IEP meeting, the team discusses the student’s post secondary goals.
Today’s headlines are filled with news about bullying at school. The latest phenomenon “bullicide” is when kids who are being bullied commit suicide. Let’s face it, bullying can be pretty scary and should concern most any parent who has a child attending school. However, it is especially worrisome for parents who have children with disabilities,…
- Accommodations & Modifications(12)
- ADD / ADHD / Learning Disabilities(4)
- Autism Resources(44)
- Behavior & Discipline Issues(22)
- HCPSS Dept. of Special Education(36)
- High Stakes Testing(13)
- IEP / IFSP / 504 Basics(47)
- Mediation & Due Process(8)
- Parent to Parent Tips(26)
- Procedural Safeguards(9)
- School 411(8)
- Spanish & Korean Language Resources(7)
- Special Education Services(11)
- Videos and Webinars of Support Group Meetings and Advocacy Workshops(14)