Essential resources for understanding the world of special education in Howard County and beyond.
Understood Imagine an Individualized Education Program (IEP) that focuses as much on your child’s strengths as it does on your child’s weaknesses. Unfortunately, that’s not the norm for most students yet. In a typical IEP meeting, not much time is given to looking at a child’s strengths. Strengths are covered at the beginning of the…
How to Request a One-to-One Paraprofessional for Your Child by Wayne Steedman, Esq. Does the child need one individual who is assigned to work with the child during the entire day? Can the child be successful if several individuals rotate during the day?
In her new role as special education parent liaison for the Howard County Public School System, Trish Gunshore spends her time talking with parents as well as collaborating with the county’s special educators. The parent liaison position was created in November 2017 by then-Interim Superintendent Michael J. Martirano.
A Guide for Students, Families, and Educators There are many pathways to achieve independence through higher education. The College for Students with Disabilities: A Guide for Students Families, and Educators from Maryville University gives you an idea of what to expect as you research your options.
- Accommodations & Modifications(12)
- ADD / ADHD / Learning Disabilities(4)
- Autism Resources(44)
- Behavior & Discipline Issues(22)
- HCPSS Dept. of Special Education(36)
- High Stakes Testing(13)
- IEP / IFSP / 504 Basics(47)
- Mediation & Due Process(8)
- Parent to Parent Tips(26)
- Procedural Safeguards(9)
- School 411(8)
- Spanish & Korean Language Resources(7)
- Special Education Services(11)
- Videos and Webinars of Support Group Meetings and Advocacy Workshops(14)